mgs

Re: computer (expletive deleted)

To: mgs%autox.team.net@aphub.aerojetpd.com
Subject: Re: computer (expletive deleted)
From: KILE_PAUL@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Paul D Kile)
Date: 02 Jun 97 13:36:29 PDT
I agree with Larry Macy in that most people don't mean that they hate
computers in their cars, but they feel helpless that they don't have
access to the TOOLS (both hardware and knowledge) to fix them when
something goes wrong.

I have 3 "classes" of vehicle in my stable.  The oldest are my lbcs,
which can be repaired with a few tools and spares.  I feel in control
of these (as long as I offer periodic sacrifices to MOWOG).

My next oldest is a 1979 Toyota pickup truck.  This has electronic
ignition, about 50 feet of vacuum line under the hood, and a large
number of little vacuum switches, solenoids, and a single computer
"brain" that uses transistor technology to control the whole mess.
My solution to potential failures has been to scour the junkyards for
all the little parts, including a spare brain and electronic ignition
unit, and to stuff all of this into a canvas bag behind the seat.  I
figure if I have spares (which I have already tested as good by
substitution) I can always switch them out by the side of the road.

My third "class" is my wife's 1996 Camry, and my (now sold) 1990
M*a*a.  Mazda wanted $600 bucks for a unit to diagnose the computer
fault codes!  Who knows what Toyota wants!  The solution here is to
bite the bullet and buy the shop manual.  At least they give you a way of
reading the codes by shorting out a connector and watching the "check
engine" light flash. At least then I may be able to tell what part
has failed, then it's off to the dealer. It will be a few years before I can
afford to start laying in spare junkyard parts for this car, but then again,
it may never need anything replaced!

So, my knowledge curve goes down as the cars get newer, but the
reliability goes up.  Hopefully, as we keep learning, our ability to
fix the beasties will improve as the cars get older and need more
work. The key is to stay just far enough ahead of the power curve so
that you can avoid taking it to some clone for $100 bucks an hour.

DIY Repair Forever!

Paul Kile

Paul D. Kile

kile_paul@aphub.aerojetpd.com