mgs

Re: Guages...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Guages...
From: thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 14:01:22 EDT
On Tue, 6 May 1997 10:05:12 -0500 (CDT)  (Todd Mullins) writes:
<SNIP>
>> The second is the Speedo.  It used to go ticka tacka ticka between
>> -10 and +10 of the actual MPH that I was doing, before it was
disconnected.
>> I figure a dirty cable, here.

>Yup.  Ask Thomas about the oil-in-a-baggie gravity feed thingie.  A
>well-lubricated cable is essential to smooth speedo operation.

I see that I have been summoned.

First, remove the offensive speedometer cable.  Next, decide if you want
to pop $10 for a new one.  If so, you're too damn rich and need to send
me some of your cash.

Remove the inner cable, which consists of a length of steel wire.  Set
this to the side.  Take the outer housing and stand outside.  Next,
produce a can of brake parts cleaner and liberally apply the substance to
the OUTSIDE of the cable.  I don't know about you, but I don't like to
hold onto greasy cables.

Then, put the red tube into the nozzle of the brake cleaner.  While
holding one end of the outer housing, aim the other end away from you.
Blast the brake cleaner into the housing.  This will remove, with assured
impunity, any traces of grease, dirt, and/or gunk.  I usually use a whole
can, just to be on the safe side.

Allow the outer cable to drip dry while you procure a ziploc sandwhich
baggie.  Cut the bottom corner off of the bag, and insert approximately
1" of the outer housing into the baggie.  Securely tape the baggie to the
cable.

What do you have now?  You have the outer portion of your speedo cable
taped to a ziploc bag.  When you fill the bag with motor oil, and
assuming you are proficient at taping the bag to the cable, oil will flow
down the inside of the cable.  Of course, you should place something
underneath the free end of the cable to catch the driipings.

The end result is a clean, well lubed housing.  However, we still have
the dirty inner cable to handle.

After you go to the parts store and buy another can of brake cleaner,
hose the inner cable down with the "miracle-in-a-can".  Take a rag and
wipe the accumulated grease, dirt, and/or gunk from the inner cable.  Set
this aside in a clean location.

When the oil finally finishes draining from your ziploc bag (you didn't
use 20W-50, did you?), remove the empty bag and discard.  Reassemble the
cable, and remember, installation is the reverse of removal.

Of course, if you need any clarification, don't hesitate to ask me.

Thomas James Pokrefke, III
1970 MGB
thomas_pokrefke@juno.com
http://ocean.st.usm.edu/~pokrefke