mgs

Re: Removing your dash

To: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Subject: Re: Removing your dash
From: Craig Wiper <craigw@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 05 May 1997 18:26:46 -0700
At 06:27 PM 5/5/97 EDT, you wrote:
>I did a lot of "tearing down" over the weekend and this coupled with one
>or two problems promotes the following questions.
>
>1)I have only ever removed metal dashboards in the past which are
>relatively easy, this weekend i was trying to remove the dash of my 73
>parts car as an exercise prior to tackling the 69. the problem is that
>whilst i got to a couple of nuts through the glove box, the nuts behind
>the instruments are totally inaccessable. bearing in mind that the 69 has
>no glove box I guess they are ALL inaccessable. I checked all my books
>and the VB and Moss catalogues - there are no clues..... I know some of
>you have done it....How?
>mike robson
>69 roadster
>70 BGT
>72 roadster

I took mine off ('74B) a couple of weeks ago. What I do is get out my  2'
extension and u-joint for my socket wrench. I lay upside-down on the floor
under the dash with my drop light facing up and spot the nuts (this is the
driver's side). I take the extension w/u-joint at top w/socket attached and
carefully push it onto the nuts and remove them. The hardest to locate is
the center-most one. From the passenger side, I remove the glovebox and
access the nuts using the hole as a maneuvering point. I did this without
removing any gauges or connections. I needed to pull the dash out a bit to
access the windshield bolts. Once the dash is free it is a bit easier to
disconnect things if you want to remove the whole thing. You could remove
the speedo to get a bit of frontal access on the driver's side.

Good luck,

Craig Wiper
craigw@sonic.net
http://www.sonic.net/~craigw