mgs

Now the bad news, tech questions

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Now the bad news, tech questions
From: Bill Eastman <william.eastman@medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 1997 10:09:38 -0500
When I drove my car home form Iowa last fall, I noticed that the oil
pressure dropped after some time on the freeway.  This weekend I had a 30
mile freeway run to get to the autocross and, as the temperature got
warmer, the pressure got lower.  By the time that I got home Sunday night,
I had 25 psi at 4200 rpm and 10 psi at idle.  The pressure was fine at the
autocross but long high speed running causes it to drop.

I once owned an International truck that ran 50k miles barely able to lift
the oil pressure gauge off the peg so I don't think that I am on the brink
of disaster here but I should do something.  Some questions:

Can you pull the main bearing caps without pulling the engine.  If so, what
special tools will I need?  I may have asked this before but the memory is
the second thing to go.

How about the rocker shaft?  When I adjusted the valves last week I
detected a little looseness in the rockers.  How much of an effect would
this have on oil pressure?

Am I missing anything?

As usual, all input would be greatly appreciated.

Ragards,
Bill Eastman
61 MGA with low blood pressure