mgs

BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net: global taboo body match "/WINMAIL.DAT/i"

To: mgs
Subject: BOUNCE mgs@Autox.Team.Net: global taboo body match "/WINMAIL.DAT/i" at line 28]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 13:16:25 -0700 (MST)

     Date: Thu Jan 30 18:49 EST 1997
     From: "Brinkmann, Gerry" <brinkg@uf4124p01.BHeightsNJ.ncr.com>
     Subject: MGB camshaft selection

don't make the mistake of get too hairy a cam - bigger is definitely NOT
better.
I built a Midget engine several years ago with a fast road cam - it
became a pain in the butt to drive on the road. It idled very badly and
fouled the plugs after 2 minutes and had no grunt below 3000 rpm. However
once over 3000 rpm - it really flew. I appreciated the term "coming on
cam"

Read D.Burgess' book 2 or 3 times before making a decision ! - he does
state in his book that the stock MGB cam is pretty good and if you look
at the table in the beginning of the book (showing power gains), the
stock cam is used in many of the applications.

I am currently rebuilding an MGB engine and basically going for a fast
road engine - after pouring through several books I decided to go for the
Piper BP272 cam. It has the largest torque band from 1500 (?) to 6000
rpm. Once the engine is put together I can report on the performance. BTW
 - I bought a Kent vernier cam drive so that I can accurately time the cam
 - which I believe should be done with every camshaft - otherwise your are
not going to realize the full benefits of the camshaft.
gerry