mgs

Re: Fwd: Help on heater

To: tom.w.wagner@Central.Sun.COM
Subject: Re: Fwd: Help on heater
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@unix.infoserve.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 1997 08:16:29 -0800
At 04:26 PM 1/22/97 -0700, you wrote:

>To All:
>
>Now that my 67 B is up and running
>with license, what could cause a
>problem with the heater?
>
>Symptoms:
>
>Motor runs slow
>Only one speed on the motor
>Black(Gnd) wire gets rather warm(can still touch)
>
>I do know that the wire goes to the GND on wiper
>motor, but that is about all I can tell about
>the problem.
>
>Any and all help would be appreciated.

Tom,

Your motor only has one speed unless it's been updated.  The fact that the
motor runs slowly indicates it's not getting full voltage or it's
mechanicaly binding.  The fact the black wire gets hot indicates that it's
either carrying too much current or is connected to a high resistance.  If
ONLY one wire is hot then high current is not the problem and the motor is
not drawing high current. (Current in equals current out - Kirkoff's Law).
Therefore check the connections on the black wire.  A loose or corroded
connection will introduce resistance which would drop some voltage (thus low
voltage at the motor) and produce heat.  Check the bullet connection
specifically.  If the wire is hotter at one end than the other that's a
guarantee you're close to the source of the problem.

Good luck
   ___        \______           Ross MacPherson
  / __ \ __ /       /------|)   arm@unix.infoserve.net
/  (___)---------/ (___)        Vancouver, BC, Canada
 1947 MG-TC 3528                1966 MGB-GT