mgs

Re: Christmas Reminiscence and LBCs

To: mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Subject: Re: Christmas Reminiscence and LBCs
From: miker15@juno.com (MICHAEL J ROBSON)
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 1996 21:10:59 EST
On Tue, 24 Dec 1996 16:54:34 -0500 mmcewen@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca writes:
>I was just reminiscing and thought I would share a memory with you.

Nice idea - since its a time for reminiscence and since I have a
propensity and affinity for windbagging at any opportunity .....

I am particularly fortunate having grown up in England as the son of an
engineer who had a passion for MGs (he still does, but considers my
tastes "new-fangled" and that no "proper" cars have actually been
produced since 1953!)
Cars featured large in my formative years, I recall my Great-Grandfathers
Austin20- complete with brass flower holders on the windscreen- as the
vehicle of choice for family trips to Epsom Downs,it held about twelve
people comfortably! -  I also recall my father breaking it for sparesand
scrap when i was about six!!)
I had an uncle who would only drive 3 wheeled cars! - he had a "bubble
car" -I think they were mescherscmidts, any way they were all red and had
a single door in the front with the steering wheel actually attached to
the door!- we kids weren't allowed in these as my mother had little faith
in either the cars or my uncle! - He did graduate to a 3 wheel Morgan
which I did ride in often and would give a right arm or two  to own now!
My own experience was also eclectic, at the age of 16, two friends and I
paid a princely ten pounds for a 1939 Austin big7 which had just failed
its MoT test. it had ALL the options of its time. tilting windscreen, sun
roof(metal),electric starter as well as the crank, leather interior with
inflatable tubes for adjustment , a sidevalve engine any fool could
understand and not a sign of rust anywhere! We learned to drive in it at
one of the guys farm - in fact probably 8 or 9 lads cut their teeth on
the beast  and passed their tests immediately they were eligible at 17 -
It would probably be still running had my choice of girlfriends been more
cautious, whilst trying to show the lady the basics she took off in it
and wrapped it round a tree! - she never did pass her test as far as i
know.....Sarah Mitchell of Cuckfield Sussex was her name and if any of
you know her tell her to give me a call - see the comments re morgan 3
wheelers!! -
My road experience progressed through a number of "ten quid wonders" - a
'55 Morris Minor(split windshield!) a '60 A40(in that awful green colour
most of them seemed to be), A'59 Bedford Utilibrake van....etc etc
All the while my Father and I (but mostly he) were restoring a 63
Wolseley Hornet which at the time was 7 years old and which i owned until
1980!!!! - oh, and as Sarah M. above could attest... yes, you can!
I bought my first BGT, a'69 when it was two years old - I worked the
whole summer for it, put in any and every penny i had ever saved and paid
about 900 sterling as i recall -
The love affair had begun... it was BRG O/d with wires - the lot!
Being fickle (of course one is at 19/20!) I traded it in a year later for
a 71BGT which was probably my favourite of all time - Sarah was no longer
in the picture but, - no it isnt!!-  In 1974 I reached the zenith of my
LBC involvement, I ordered a custom packaged brand new BGT in Damask red
with chrome rostyles and every other option BL had on offer!!! I think it
was about 3500 sterling, I was working by now but i recall this was a bit
more than a years salary!! My pride in ownership of this one was immense
and in three years I put about 35,000 miles on it (something of a feat in
the U.K.) -
In 1977, something odd happened to my psyche.......I am still at a loss
to explain it and relate it here with some embarrasment. I traded in my
baby for a 77 TR7, white with green(G**awful) tartan interior. This
proved to be more than a small error. - In the first 3000 milesover
12months it needed three new gearboxes, two differentials and three sets
of wheel bearings. It would only ever start at its own whim and I never
dared go very far in it for fear of being stranded. The BL dealer that I
bought it from was not the most helpful and in the end i resorted to
daubing the thing with black paint (a statement to the effect that his
dealership sucked! - only not that polite) and parking it outside his
garage every weekend!! - eventually, dealing with BL direct, I got a
partial refund provided I did not publicise it, I took the money,
returned the car and told everyone who cared to listen!! - I bought a
Ford Capri about which i remember nothing........hehe

The early 80s saw my emigration to the New World, my marriage, my kids
and a succession of naff but practical escorts/aerostars/mercurys etc.My
renaissance within the LBC world came as the result of a particularly
good Christmas bonus some three years ago and continues to grow (though
the bonuses do not necessarily perform likewise.) I have just finished
restoration of my 3rd B - the first two sold on there is another B in the
wings and the BGT the fate of which is still not clear to me!!!!
I am neither a purist nor a customiser, I know my abilities are limited
so I concentrate on viable cars that can be brought back to
"head-turning" roadworthiness using as much of the original car as
possible. Im not capable of a 100 point car but then my brand new 74
wouldnt have made 100!!! -  I like to think I "keep them on the road"
Have a great deal of fun (and frustration) and meet other likewise
challenged souls with similar personality disorders and that it all stops
me from walking into a post office with an AK47!!!!!

All good wishes to the list members, your families and friends for the
Holidays - hope to meet you all in 97

mike robson
69 roadster
72 roadster
73 BGT
many bits, pieces, parts, odds,sods, etc etc