mgs

RE: Underside of TD Wings

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Underside of TD Wings
From: TheSkinny@aol.com
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 1996 00:50:17 -0400
A part of the thread:
<I can see a dilemma here. The
>underside of the wings must take a pretty good beating so you would want to
>use undercoating. But it is also visible, so you would want it to look
>pretty. I'm not a fanatic about exact originality, so I'm open to solutions
>that have
>worked out well for others.

<The original T-series MGs all had the under side of all panels painted the
<same as the visible side. As to undercoating, unless you are using your car
<as a daily driver in snowy weather, I wouldn't do it. There was no
<undercoating used by the factory. Most undercoatings are a thick tar-like
<substance that is very unsightly. It would certainly detract from resale
value.
<SNNNIPP>

Since you aren't woried about total originality, but are concearned about
looks, ask your body man to use "Rocker Shootz" (I think that's what it's
called)  The stuff is used on the lower rocker panels below the car doors on
modern cars.  It is nearly as smooth as paint, and it is resilient, so that
rocks bounce off.  Paint sticks to it and is chip resistant.  Also hides
imperfections reducing prep time for the inside of a wing, and may quiet the
transmission of tire noise.  I've used the stuff to finish the underside of
the hood (bonnet) in my 63 F*rd Falcon, and on the rockers & engine
compartment of my 69 midget.  You paint right over the top of it, so the
finished job looks just like original unless you are really close.

David Riker
69 Midget