mgs

Re: Help on Brake Cylinders

To: tom.wagner@Central.Sun.COM
Subject: Re: Help on Brake Cylinders
From: Bert.Otten@nni.nl
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 1996 13:31:07 +0100
Fri, 28 Jun 96 08:16:03 +0200, Tom wrote:

>I have a 67 MGB that has sat for a  long time, 7 years, and need to
>rebuild the brake cylinders.
>Can someone tell me how to  get the internal components out of the
>brake cylinders.  I have seen mail around that talks about brake
>adjusters and to heat them.  This is okay with me, but is it the
>same thing????

Tom,

The brake cylinder and the brake adjuster are two separate things.

Brake adjuster: located at the top side of the drum backplate. It
consists of two pistons which are driving the brake shoes. Adjustment
is done by turning a bolt with a conical end, with four flat spots,
which pushes the pistons outward (or allows them to go inward), and
therefor widens the brake shoes. On the inner side of the backplate
the brake adjuster can be seen as the square ended bolt. It's a
little difficult to explain, but once you remove the brake drum
you'll see what I mean.

Brake cylinder: The hydraulic actuator located at the bottom of the
rear-axle drum backplate. It' s probably cheaper to buy new ones than
to rebuild them (MOSS (UK) nr. GWC 1103 B (I paid about 26 $ the
pair)

Once you have installed shoes, cleaned the brake adjusters (use a lot
of WD-40 or something (I used Teflon spray as grease)) etc. attach
the wheel, make certain that the wheel can turn (i assume that your
axle is on stands here) and adjust the brakes by turning the brake
adjuster in until the wheel locks. Then back off until the brake
adjuster locks in it's 'flat side' position (1 position every 90
degrees) and the wheel turns freely. It's, in fact, easy.

Good luck

Bert Otten
'67 B