mgs

Value of Midget MkI wrapup

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Value of Midget MkI wrapup
From: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 1996 14:43:35 -0400 (EDT)
Thanks to everyone who responded regarding the value of a rusty but fairly
original and maintained Midget Mk. I.  The consensus is that $3200 is
monumentally overpriced.  I thought as much.  Estimates ranged from $900
to $1800.  For $900 I would buy it, just because it's cute and I know how
to repair the rust (at least I would buy it if the spring boxes were still
usable).  For $1800 I would pass.  For $3200, I figure some poor sod is
probably going to come along and get took.

I was asked by an acquaintence who regularly buys and sells lbcs to
suggest a selling price for a bugeye he had bought.  It consisted of
bondo, undercoating, and lots of sheet metal and rivets all covered by
1/16th inch of the shiniest red paint you ever saw.  I told him maybe
$2500.  I think he sold it for about twice that.  The new owner proudly
showed me his purchase, then asked if I had a spare set of top bows.
He'd paid $4 or $5K and a top wasn't included.

So I wouldn't bet against this guy getting $3200, but he won't get it
from me.

                gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu  (802) 656-8910