mgs

And you think we have problems

To: mgccnwc-list@eskimo.com, mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: And you think we have problems
From: Ted Weiler <tweiler@eskimo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 1996 11:50:25 -0800
So you think that Lucas has caused us a few problems along the way?

>From the Wall Street Journal, 2/27/96:

"The U.S. unit of Lucas Industries PLC, a big British manufacturer, pleaded
guilty in Los Angeles federal court last year to falsifying quality records
for gearboxes that drive electrical, oil, and fuel systems on Navy F-18
fighters.  Prosecutors said that when 150 of the gearboxes were taken apart,
100% failed inspection.  The Navy blames the gearboxes for 71 emergency
landings and several in-flight fires, as well as the loss of an F-18 during
the Persian Gulf War. (The pilot survived.)  Lucas has agreed topay more
than $106 million in fines and penalties, though it disputes that false
tests led to the Navy's problems.  One Lucas quality inspector has pleaded
guilty, another has been indicted, and others are under investigation"

If they had asked us we could have warned them not to use Lucas.  I wonder
if we could put together a class-action?  Any lawyers out there? :)

Ted

 Edward B. (Ted) Weiler, TWeiler@Eskimo.com
 Engineering Manager, Olympic Medical, OlyMed@aol.com
 Director, Volunteers NorthWest , VNW@AOL.COM