mgs

Midget prices (Joke?)

To: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Subject: Midget prices (Joke?)
From: "U. Goettsch" <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 21:06:55 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 22 Feb 1996, Agustin de la Calle wrote:
> A friend of mine saw an ad in the paper in Berlin, Germany where somebody
> is looking for a Ducati and would give his MG Midget as a trade in.  The
> value of the Midget is 16400 DM or more than US$10,000!  I thought you
> might like this.

Checking the lastest issues of mags from Germany and Britain:

Germany ($1 = DM 1.45):
Early Midget: fair condition: DM 6,000 - good condition: DM 18,000
Midget 1500 :                 DM 4,000                   DM 15,000

Britain (who knows the exchange rate?):
Early Midget: fair condition: #S 1,250 - good condition: #S 4,000
Midget 1500 :                 #S   750                   #S 3,500

Now, before everybody runs and ships their car to Germany, let me tell
you that it doesn't pay off quite like it would seem. I have shipped two
cars (for friends, not profit) and know that there are so many auxiliary
costs and
hassles, that only the best _professional_ dealers make significant
profit off this.
Also, what you think is good condition might not be considered the same
by my fellow Germans...

So, who knows that exchange rate?
Ulix
                    '67 Sprite             '66 Caddy