mgs

Re: Aftermarket air filters

To: Motorheadx@aol.com
Subject: Re: Aftermarket air filters
From: KeithB227@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 1996 13:37:13 -0500
Jeff and friends at Motorhead recently wrote:

>>     For instance, stock MGB air filter housings (63-74) contain a velocity
stack insert which encourages flow.  The Ramflo, K&N and other aftermarket
air filters do not contain a velocity stack.  It is possible that this insert
as well as the capacity of the stock housing play more than a subtle role in
air flow to the carburetters.<<

What do you recommend when the stock filters can't be used.  For example, my
'57 MGA has an early B (18G) engine which might prefer to breath through
stock air filters.  However, there is no way to fit those big mushrooms under
the hood.  The DPO used "MGA-like" flat filters (I think they're really
Volvo), but I wonder if there's a better way.

Other MGA owners with B engines?  Do most use standard MGA air filters,
K&N's, or others with no built-in velocity stack?

Thanks in advance.

Keith Baer