mgs

Re: Painting you own car at home...

To: Railroad2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Painting you own car at home...
From: Tim Moses <moses@csra.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 1996 12:25:52 -0700
At 10:02 AM 2/21/96 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I've been trying to decide which route to take getting my Rover sedan
>painted.  Since every single body panel is unstressed and simply unbolts from
>the car, I thought I might do it myself one panel at a time and thoroughly
>rustproof the car as I went.  Recently, though, I spoke to auto paint
>supplier who told me that this  would probably be considered illegal by the
>state EPA which has been cracking down on all the hole in the wall body shops
>with poor OSHA-type practices.  I can see wheree these shops may be doing a
>significant volume and could have a significant effect on the environment,
>but is the private owner working on his own car really at risk?  This auto
>paint supplier cited cases wherein the individual's equipment was confiscated
>and fines up to $50,000 applied.  What's the experience of the list on
>painting your car at home?

        OSHA regulations only apply if certain situations exist.  OSHA regs
(and their associated fines) do NOT apply to the average Joe (or Denise) who
does hobby activity in the quiet confines of their own garage.  Otherwise,
we could not even change our own oil.

        Bottom line, if you can buy the paint legally and the sprayer
legally, you can paint your own car(s) to your heart's content.

        {DISCLAIMER:  This is not to be considered as legal advice.  If you
want more information, check the Code of Federal Regulations which pertain
to OSHA.  Otherwise, consult a reputable attorney.  I will be happy to
assist for a small fee -- and a LARGE, non-refundable RETAINER.}  Good Luck.
;-)

TTFN !
Tim Moses, Esq.         U.S.N.A. 1986                     www.csra.net/moses
Live from Augusta, Georgia   -   the 77th largest city in the USA

                                        We're a Hole in One !