mgs

Re: Brighter headlamps

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brighter headlamps
From: SBERCOVICH@cbe.ab.ca
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 22:13:34 -0700 (MST)
Denise is right on this one! Heard the same story "about that time".
You'll notice, however, that the OEM halogen bulbs being sold today have
nice little red seals wrapped around them to get away from the corrosion
problem?. (Have never had a halogen lamp corrode on the inside, but then
it's not as humid here as some of you may encounter.)
--
Shel Bercovich                           "Come Ride   \/
sbercovich@cbe.ab.ca                      with Us     /\

On Tue, 28 Nov 1995, Denise Thorpe wrote:
[SNIP]
> Sometime in the early '80's, an authorized Hella and Cibie vendor and
> installer (Pat, late of Octagon) told me that the reason given for not
> allowing halogen lights in California is that the reflectors have a tendency
> to corrode because the bulbs are replaceable and therefore the headlights
> aren't "sealed" beam.  He said the _real_ reason is that the parts companies
> that manufacture sealed beam headlights had a powerful lobby.  It's
> interesting that certain halogen headlights with replaceable bulbs are now
> legal in California.  Most obvious are the original headlights that come with
> new cars.  Maybe new car companies have a more powerful lobby than
> replacement part manufacturers.
[SNIP]