mgs

Re: Silicon Brake fluid in the clutch ???

To: "Gary R. Burrell" <burrelgr@tuns.ca>, mgs@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Silicon Brake fluid in the clutch ???
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 11:05:43 -0500

On Sat, 25 Nov 1995, "Gary R. Burrell" <burrelgr@tuns.ca> wrote:

>Well I was looking over the work to do on my 68 MGB  before I put it back
>on the road next year and I was thinking of redoing my brakes.
>

>This seems like the optimal time to put in silicon fluid.
>
>Going one step further I could do the clutch at the same time.  Then in
>order to only have one type of brake fluid in the car I could go to
>silicon on the clutch as well.  Has anyone done this?  How does it work?
>Keep in mind that if I do this I will go to new lines and new or rebuilt
>cylinders (I'll probably rebuild them myself) so old fluid in the lines
>etc. will not be an issue.
>

>Pros and Cons are invited.
>
>Gary
>
>I restored a TC in l983 with all new brake parts and used silicon. Considering
the low use, in 13 years I never had a problem. I see no reason the clutch
would
not benefit from the same treatment. Since silicon doesn`t absorb moisture the
brake cylinders remain lubricated and the fluid stays clean. The cons to
silicon
are over the boiling points, beyond my expertise, but I have never heard of
anyone having trouble with silicon.

Mike Leckstein