mgs

Re: Automatic V8 '66 BGT

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Automatic V8 '66 BGT
From: rjfager@ibm.net
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 95 16:24:06

     I know, I know, keep it original. I have a'64 B I am restoring as
 original.  But, my wife is handicapped and cannot drive a stick.  I am
 looking at installing a Buick/Rover aluminium bock V8 with an automatic
 tranny in my '66 BGT.
     This car was caught in a garage fire and destined for the scrap heap.
 I gave it a good look-over and to my delight, it's a sound roller.  For the
 un-infected (without british the car bug that is), it isn't pretty to look
 at.  It has some blistered paint and a medium-well interior.

 Questions:

 1. Is the Buick/Rover V8 the best choice?
 2. What types of modifications I will need to make to the chassis?
 3. Will the  rear end hold up?
 4. What is the best strip method? I live in S.F. Bay Area where chemical
    stripping is not an option.
 5. Are the Prestige luxury carpet and leather seat kits any good? (Prestige
    Auto Trim Products, Ltd. UK).

 Thanks,

 John and Mary
 rjfager@ibm.net