mgs

HELP MGB Tranny Dissasembly

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: HELP MGB Tranny Dissasembly
From: Tom LeBlanc <leblanc@gdadmin.ucsb.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 95 13:55:00 PDT
Jim,

As I recall when I did my tranny five years ago, you are trying to separate
objects that are press fit together.  Since I don't have my Hanes in the
office, I will be going from faulty memory:  Big screwdrivers/pry-bars, and a
lead hammer will come in handy.  The final motion shaft has its bearing press
fit on and you will need access to an hydraulic press.  That bearing, as I
recall, is in turn pressed into the rear housing.

As long as you have all the housing bolts out, and you have removed the
relevant gear clusters, the rest is *easy*.  A press would do the job here,
but if you can't take the tranny to one, use the hammer and pry-bars (note,
be careful with the pry-bars as not to gouge the mating surfaces) to get some
space between the body and the tail.  You can hold the tranny up by the tail
and have a helper bash the end of the final motion shaft (or that bearing, I
don't recall the structure, but I hope you get the idea) until the tail comes
free.   To Protect the first motion shaft that is sticking out to the other
end of the tranny, make sure you have some blocks on the floor that will stop
the bell-housing from concrete and keep the f.m. shaft up too (2x4s or 4x4s
should do it).

Here is a tip on getting the synchros back together:  get a hose clamp or a
piston ring compressor to fit around the synchro to keep the springs
and things contained.  It is a make-shift version of the factory tool.

Good luck,

Tom Le Blanc  '73 MGB
UCSB Graduate Division
<leblanc@graddiv.ucsb.edu>