Re: [Mgb-v8] disc brakes

To: "packrat6" <packrat6@charter.net>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgb-v8] disc brakes
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 09:58:10 +0100
Problems with the bypass hole or *mechanical* brake light switch adjustment
causes the brakes to bind on when the fluid heats up and will affect all
wheels (if single circuit or brake light switch) or one circuit if bypass hole
problem.  Other causes can be caliper flex hoses breaking down internally and
acting as a check valve, usually affects one caliper but both pads.  Both
these are revealed by slacking a caliper bleed nipple, if fluid spurts out in
a jet i.e. is under pressure one of the above is the cause.  Another cause is
simply stuck/corroded pistons, which affect just one pad in a caliper, unless
both pistons are equally affected of course.  As Wayne says unlike the rear
brakes there is no pull-off spring, as well as hub-bearing end-float to some
extent the springiness of the seals will also pull the pistons back in very
slightly.

PaulH.