Re: Connecting a voltmeter

To: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@comcast.net>, "Paul Root" <ptrmgb@gmail.com>,
Subject: Re: Connecting a voltmeter
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 09:30:16 +0100
14.7v would be the absolute maximum for an alternator and only seen on some
cars.  Alternator maximum voltages can be as low as 14.3v.  Dynamo equipped
cars can range from 14.3 to 15.5v, and all those are maximum voltages i.e.
with minimal load.  When you start adding load it can easily go down to 13v
and still be fine (anything above 12.8v).  This is what I man about getting
paranoid, and why fitting a voltmeter is often followed by fitting an
uprated alternator, when the old system worked fine as it was.  If you are
getting a flat battery from driving, then other than having added lots of
additional load you have a fault, not a deficiency of the original design.

PaulH.