Re: Ignition coil

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ignition coil
From: Greg A Myer <motorhead45@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 08:30:18 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I was making a general overview. I don't know how
MG did it all those years ago. GM 12 volt systems
with points had ballast resistors.  Most aftermarket
coils have that as an option if you're running a points
distributor. Check your Jegs or Summit catalogs.
If you have a specific electronic distributor - follow
the directions.
Optics aren't considered points
      I have burned up points when not using the resistor.
I've never had trouble with a 12 volt system when I used the resistor
with points and no resistor on breakerless setups.
I've never had anything but trouble with 6 volt systems.
      The MG V8's are now using GM motors and alternators,
I set mine up GM. Seems right to me.
                                                                 Greg