Strange splutters

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Strange splutters
From: Barrie Robinson <barrie@look.ca>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 08:32:16 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
My first test run of my MGB GT with Rover 3.5L was disaster and I need some
advice.

The engine would die in a sort of jerky spluttery way -but no backfire.  I
seemed to get it going again by pumping on the throttle - but not certain
if that did any good really.  It got progressively worse (over roughly
200km) until I would have to crank the engine quite a while, move off for
another short distance.  Just barely made home.  Think it was fuel problem
so I have drained the tank - not really much muck in there, took off the
in-line filter and judging by the gas that spewed out, it was not
blocked.  Pump (Moprod) needs to be checked but it was ticking away quite
merrily before.  The carb looks okay but the Edelbrock is a mystery to me
and I do not know what to look for.

But here is a sort of clue maybe.  A week or so ago I foolishly left the
ignition on and the battery went flat.  Can I have damaged the condenser in
the dizzy, or cooked the coil??

Any thoughts anyone ....and thanks in advance for your responses

Regards
Barrie

Barrie Robinson
(705) 721-9060