Re: Radiator and fan clearance?

To: Al Dufault <adufault@nycap.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Radiator and fan clearance?
From: "James J." <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 13:05:41 -0500
Cc: MGB-V8 <MGB-V8@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Al,
There are a few possible solutions depending on your setup. The first question is: what kind of timing cover/water pump do you have? The Rover pumps (all types) seem to be much longer than the Buick models. Within the Buick family, the Buick 300 pumps for a/c cars seem to be the shortest. So if you have a Rover pump, consider switching to the Buick model and see if that gives you the space you need.

The second option is to see if you can tilt the radiator slightly forward at the top
The third option is to cut off that lip on the back of the radiator duct panel (which is what Vicky Brit calls the panel you mentioned below). I've considered doing this myself. What I would suggest is to make a length of 18 or 20 ga. angle and weld it across the open seam where you cut off the flange to restore the integrity of the panel.

This is why I'm toying with an electric pump.

James J.

Al Dufault wrote:

Hi All,
I am putting a few finishing touches on my car and ran into a clearance
problem for the radiator and fan.  I have a 74 1/2 B which was but no longer
is a rubber bumper car with the radiator close to the old engine vs. the
radiator forward on the later models.  I had supports made for the new
radiator and mounted them in place where they are on later model cars.

I don't remember reading or hearing about this , but I believe I need to cut
away part of the body where the old oil cooler was mounted for clearance to
the radiator and fan.  I am using the perma cool high volume electric fan.

Can anyone shed any light on this subject?

Thanks,
Al Dufault