A couple 'o questions?

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: A couple 'o questions?
From: "JJJ" <m1garand@speakeasy.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2003 16:31:13 -0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hey all,
  A few random thoughts floating through my head need resolution...

1)Anybody here ever use Rhoads lifters?  If so, which part did you order?
They don't explicitly market one for the 215/3.5, but they do make them for
the Buick 301 (?????) and the 350, but they seem to market it for the post
1970 350.  I know, from looking at other parts, that something did change on
the 350 in 1970 that affected the lifters, but I just don't know what it was
  Crane also makes a "Fast bleed" lifter which is essentially a milder
version of the Rhoads lifter, shortening cam duration by ~10 deg, vs. the 20
deg. reduction produced by a Rhoads.

1a)  I suspect that the ideal cam would be the next hottest one above what
you would want to use w/ regular hydraulic lifters.  Since both brands are
fully pumped up by 2500/3000 RPM, you could look for a cam that enters its
stride right around that RPM level.  Again, anyone have personal experience?

2)  Anybody here ever resleve a Rover block for a bigger bore?  My local
machine shop says they can resleve and deck the engine for under $800, but I
m not sure how big of a bore I can get.  At only 400 lbs, the 5.7L Chevy
LS-1 is starting to look mighty attractive, and they're getting cheaper by
the day. (This whole thought is for my next project, not my current one)

James J.

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/gif which had a name of
IMSTP.gif]