Bonnets and air cleaners

To: "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bonnets and air cleaners
From: "James Nazarian" <jhn3@uakron.edu>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 21:49:07 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Gents,  I remember, once upon a time, hearing that a Mitsubishi eclipse hood
bulge was the same contour as a B bonnet and so it could be fitted for
clearance issues.  I have one that came from a friend's wrecked eclipse.  I
was going to save it but realistically I don't think I'll ever need it for
anything.  If anyone wants it I'm in NE Ohio and would sell it to a good
home.

Also, I'm going to try to describe a part that I'm looking for, try to bear
with me if you could.  I am looking for an inlet to fit over an edelbrock
carb.  something about 5 to 7 inches in diameter with a 2.5 inch inlet pipe
on it.  This would be something that you could run a 2.5 inch inlet pipe to
a cone style filter.  The installation would be similar to rice burner cold
air intakes, but the part I'm looking for would be a 4 bbl carb specific
item.

I currently have a 14" air cleaner in sealed box piped to an inlet sealed to
the front of an MGC bonnet bulge.  I cut the bulge open where the chrome
strip used to be.  I would like to switch to that above described inlet and
mount a cone style filter in my scoop.  For maybe a little more description,
I looked at www.ramair.com and they have airboxes of this style but all are
sized for a 14" aircleaner inside of them.  I would like to find one in a
small diameter that is intended to have the aircleaner elsewhere.

I have considered making one out of fiberglass, but I'm trying to avoid
that.  Does anyone have any ideas on where I could find such a beast?  I
like my current setup but I would like to free up some space over the engine
so that I can gain access to the carb with aircleaner insitu.

TIA
James Nazarian
71 MGB Tourer
71 MGBGT V8