Re: Olds engine rebuilding

To: <james_nazarian@excite.com>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Olds engine rebuilding
From: "Allen Wulf" <wulfmgbv8@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 19:25:03 -0700
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
James:
To answer your questions.
1.  Yes, the T-5 uses a slip yoke on the output shaft.  I'm surprised that the
T-10 has a fixed yoke.
     I used the yoke that came with my transmission and the guys at Frontrange
driveline on South Federal were able to put a Ford part on the differential
end of the drive shaft  so it would mate up to the Ford 8".

2.  You should be able to get a T-5 for a lot less that $3,000.00.  I think
Dan LaGrou sells rebuilt GM T-5s for $950.00.  Probably a better supply of
them in Ohio than in Colorado.

3.  I think the cable is probably the same on a T-5 while they were still
using the cable driven speedometer.  I think GM switched  to a electronic
speedometer sometime in the 90's, but I'm not positive.  I'm using a
electoronic programable VDO speedo in my car.

Another transmission you might want to consider is a T-50 from a V-8 Chevy
Monza.  Jim Blackwood wrote an excellent article about this transmission in
Vol VI Issue 2 of the MG V8 newsletter.  The V8 version of the transmission
with  the ratios of 3.10, 1.89, 1.27, 1.00 and .84 in 1st through 5th
respectively would still work well with your stock MGB 3.9 differential gears.
3.5 or 3.31 rearend gears would be even better.  The transmission weights 65
pounds compared to 80 pounds for a T-5.  The shift pattern is different,
reverse being the same position as a 3 speed and 1st just below reverse.  I'll
try and draw the shift pattern.

R 2 4
1 3  5

There is a reverse detent to keep you from accidently slamming it into
reverse.  I don't know how easy it is to find one these transmissions since
they were probably last made in the early 80s.

Al