Re: Fan Belt Alignment and misc.

To: James Jewell <m1garand@directvinternet.com>
Subject: Re: Fan Belt Alignment and misc.
From: Glenn <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 15:24:28 -0800 (PST)
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
James,

I believe that my pulleys are slightly out of
alignment, but more on the order of a 1/16 to 1/8.
While I'm sure this will lead to long term wear on the
alternator, and water pump, I'm not too concerned at
my couple of thousand miles a year usage.  However, I
do get a little black dust in the engine compartment
directly behind the alternator.  I attribute this
(rightly or wrongly) to the misalignment.  I don't
worry about it.

On another note, I did go start the BV8 the other
night to circulate some anti-freeze through it.  I
couldn't convince myself I added coolant to the water
the last time I filled the radiator.  I was screwing
around so much with the car at the time, it was less
messy to just fill it with water.  Even though it was
in the teens, the car started up without hesitation.
It cranked less than my '97 EFI truck before starting
up.  I thought this was interesting.

Despite all my gripes about the car this summer (and
the work hours and wedding planning), I did manage to
get it on the road for a couple of nice day trips
early this fall.  The new dual 2" exhaust with the 2
1/2" chrome tips look great and sound even better.
About the only thing left is to swap the Buick 215 oil
pan on my 3.9 back to a 3.9.  They are not
interchangeable.  It will work but will not seal well.

The list has been pretty slow, but hopefully everyone
is out enjoying the holidays, and wishing that Santa
will bring them some interesting V8 parts.

Glenn