Engines and Bellhousings?

To: MGB-v8 list <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engines and Bellhousings?
From: James Jewell <m1garandusa@netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 11:01:02 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Can anyone tell me if the Rover and Buick bellhousings are
interchangeable between Rover and Buick blocks, ie. Did Rover change the
bolt pattern when they liscenced the Buick design?  I'm just trying to
decide how much I should let my engine purchase be affected by the
transmission I ultimately purchase.

Thanks,

James Jewell

p.s.  I saw someone selling a 1961 Buick "special alloy" 215 V8, minus
the heads.  Apparently this design uses 6 bolts per cylinder to hold the
heads down, vs. the 5 used on the later models.  Am I correct in
assuming that this prevents any later model heads being used, and
therefore limits the number of applications of this engine?

Thanks again,