4-link, coilovers and the rest

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: 4-link, coilovers and the rest
From: "Michael Hartwig" <mhartwig@midsouth.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:09:45 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Anyone out there have a 4-link, 3-link, V-link or anything like it under their
B with coilovers?

I've been scratching my head for a while trying to figure out how to get all
that under there.  My coilovers are mounted using the upper holes of the lever
arm shocks.  This puts the coilover in the way of the sway bar.  I've come to
terms with making a new sway bar, but that still leaves me with the links and
the locator bar.

Best i've come up with is a 3 link system.  2 links come from the front leaf
locations to the bottom of the rear end.  1 link will be in the middle
connected to the top of the pumpkin.  The other end will connect to the shelf
behind the seats with a bracket.  Anyone have any problems mounting it there
if I reinforce the sheet metal?  The panhard rod is a tough one.  I've thought
about using the mounting point for the rubber band straps, but those seem
fairly thin for the force it will have to take.

I do not see any problems with the 3-link, I should be able to design good
antisquat and rollsteer characteristics.

Ideally i'd love to have a V-link system, but I see no way of implementing it
w/o cutting out the battery box.  I've seen it on some Midgets, but it doesn't
look like they have a battery box back there.

I'm sure someone out there has done a rear coilover conversion, i'd love to
see some pics.  If not, I guess i'll be the guinea pig and go with the
3-link.

Oh, last thing, has anyone been able to access the archives at listquest?
They seem to have been down for a long time.  Is there any other way to access
the archives?

Mike