Re: upholstery

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: upholstery
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Mar 2002 19:12:51 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I am currently having a set of leather '64 TR4 seats recovered by Santy's
upholstery in Hawthorne, CA.  A referral from some friends who are into hot
rods.  He does quality work.  Great cars in his shop, too, it's like a mini
car show in there.

I've waited for the sale prices from the big three Triumph suppliers and he
beat the best sale price, which was Moss.  It's still not cheap by any
means, but the key is, not only am I saving a few hundred dollars, but he
does the work, not me.

My seats were in bad shape and needed everything including the upholstery
kits, foam seat buns and misc supplies.  He disassembles the original
upholstery and uses it as a pattern.   I don't have the finished product
back yet, so I can't give my personal recommendation.  However, I'm
confident I will have concourse quality seats when he's done.

I'm sure that most upholstery shops can do just about anything.  I've seen
some amazingly trick stuff at street rod shows.  That would be a good source
for referrals.  It's all easy stuff to do, they just have to have the
knowledge/experience/technique.  Also, switching from leather to cloth
should save you some $$$.

Paul W.
1964 TR4 (4 banger)
1969 Mustang GT Conv (V8, ahhhhhhhhhhh)