Intro & a question

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Intro & a question
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@apphosting.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 17:12:59 -0000
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi all,

Just a quick note to say Hi to everyone. :)

As a few of you know from other lists, I own a few MG's (A/BGT/CGT) and my
latest is a 1974 Factory BGT V8. She's Black Tulip (originally Aconite) with
Autumn Leaf interior. 67,000mls on the clock and in very original condition.
She needs a little work mechanically to get her to full daily driver status,
even though she performs that task pretty well now. The brakes need new
discs, a new bush and UJ in the steering column and a few rubber hoses
changing here and therebut apart from that, she's in great health and
performs very strongly right now. Body wise she is perfect, no rust anywhere
which is quite a find over here in the UK or so I'm told being an ex-pat
Aussie/Kiwi whatever <G>.

I have one minor problem with the car thats becoming a pain. The carbs are
set to 3.8%CO2 and a AFR of 14.4:1 but I have a very slow falling idle. I
live in Dublin, Ireland and the traffic is chaos, so after 1/2hr or so of
stop start, needle over N a little, she starts to choke down and misfire
slightly, threatening to stall. The plugs look clean, nice and grey/brown,
with no sign of soot. I see the factory says the car should run at 2% Co2
but this sounds incredibly low and I don't know anyone running at those
levels. Could this be it?

The car is totally stock under the bonnet, but some have suggested that this
issue is common with the stock intake manifold and SU's. If that is the
case, I am considering a Carb/Manifold swap. I've been over the ignition
system, dwell and timing settings/advance curve etc, and am 99% sure this
isn't the cause - everything is set to factory settings btw.

So since I've been struggling with this for a while, I've been looking at
RPI Engineering's Weber 500 & Offenhauser/Edelbrock conversion
(www.v8engines.com) and was wondering if any out there have any comments on
this? Remember I am after driveability rather than performance. They also
supply a dual point Mallory which sounds good. Comments please? :)

Thanks for listening, hope to see some of you out on the roads around the
UK!

Cheers,
Neil