Re: header clamps

To: "James Nazarian Jr" <James.Nazarian@colorado.edu>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: header clamps
From: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 20:43:00 +0100
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
This seems to be referring to a sliding fit of one tube inside another, the
outer tube having two slits for a couple of inches, that just has a
cicumferential clamp to hold the two together.  Tubular manifolds as fitted
to factory V8s are like this, and I have had to refit my down-pipes on
average about once a year (a real pig that requires dropping the complete
system) because they gradually work off.  The PO mentioned that they did
come off whilst in motion for him once, and whilst that has not (yet)
happened to me, on one occasion I had just got under the car to drop and
refit them when one did just drop off - close call or what?  I did fit a
couple of coarse-threaded stainless steel bolts and nuts and pulled them up
real tight and that seemed to be holding them.  I replaced the manifolds
(tubulars again) a couple of months ago as the old ones kept cracking for
some reason, and new clamps and bolts seem to be holding OK so far, although
I am not doing as much mileage as I was.  I have spent some time under the
car wondering if I could fit a forward hanger from the bell-housing.

PaulH.