Re: axle weights - additional data

To: jemery@mint.net, mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: axle weights - additional data
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 12:06:25 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/22/2000 10:22:14 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jemery@mint.net writes:

> We ship 8 inch narrowed Fords via UPS in 3 boxes, total weight including
>  boxes and packing was 171 pounds on the last one.  10 inch brakes and no
>  posi but with 3.50 gears.  Still a handfull, the 8 inch non posi gear chuck
>  boxed is 66 pounds.

The complete 9 inch Ford "pumpkin" with a Tru-Trac gear type posi weighs 75
pounds. I wonder how much of that is the Tru-Trac?

>  I had to reference a UPS slip for this info, hope their scale is accurate.

Probably a lot more accurate than the scales I used. I used a set of bathroom
scales, probably accurate to + or - 3 pounds?

>  If you want a weight surprise lift a Rover 5spd after playing with T-5s.
>  The Rover must weigh 30 pounds more...

Using the same bathroom scales, the T5 (Ford Mustang version complete with
bellhousing) weighed 85 pounds, as compared to 74 pounds for a TR6
transmission (with integral bellhousing). I haven't yet weighed an MGB unit
(and I don't have a Rover to weigh).

Looks like I need to get a life!

Dan