Clutch Pressure Plate to Flywheel

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch Pressure Plate to Flywheel
From: Wake074@aol.com
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 11:03:09 EST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I'm getting closer and closer to putting the engine in the car for the final
time.  The body is completely stripped and I should be finished filling minor
dents dings this week.  I hope to shoot primer and lacquer next weekend.  I
installed the Weber HTOB this weekend, very simple, but I do have a concern
about the number of threads that the bearing screwed onto the spacer.  I
think I'm only using the last 2 or 3.

Anyways, to my question.  I installed a stock clutch from an 86 Camaro to a
Buick flywheel.  My concern is with the centering.  I measured (somewhat
carefully) the pressure plate and tried to get it as centered as possible
when drilling the flywheel.  How much can I be off in the centering before
doing major damage?  If I was to start the engine with tranny connected,
would I break something?

I solved the pilot bushing issue, after going to three auto parts stores
until I finally found one with a book listing bearings by OD and ID.  It was
an odd GM bearing, but they had one for  a few dollars.  I'll post the number
if anyone is interested.  It will also be on my webpage when I do the next
update (hopefully, within the next couple of weeks).

Glenn