Re: Thanks and yet another question

To: Wake074@aol.com
Subject: Re: Thanks and yet another question
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 18:20:16 -0400
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Glenn-

Throw the book away, or at least cut out the section that recommends using a
rubber bumper front crossmember. Hundreds of these conversions have been done
with the early crossmember, I have done 2 rubber bumper cars with early cross
members swapped in to lower the car, & steering is not a problem, an xtra
u-joint is not necessary.

As in all such things, there are many ways to accomplish a given end, whatever
works for you is "right", but swapping in a rubber bumper crossmember creates at
least as many problems as it solves, the major one being ride height. To correct
this, short springs are usually used, changing the "Ackerman" angle, creating
bump steer. You also do not need the RB Xmember to provide engine clearance for
either the Buick or Rover engine.

Remember, the book was written for British consumption, right hand drive, but
plenty of Brits & Aussies have done the conversion with the early xmember.

I use the rubber bumper rack, use a sander or sawsall to change the angle of the
rack mounting pads, lower the steering column where it passes through the
firewall, & shorten the steering shaft, about 2 hours work, no welding, just
some slotting of holes, a little cutting, & time spent shimming the steering
rack.

You need a subscription to the V8 Newsletter, it will provide plenty of "how it
was done" info. There is a link on my web page

< mgbv8.com>

Jim Stuart
sorry if I "ranted", that book just does it to me....