Re: Ford 289 in a MGB?

To: Christopher M Bonomo <chrisandsarahb@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Ford 289 in a MGB?
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 16:58:31 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Chris-

It has been done, & is a good fit. I have seen 2 in the past few years.
There is a problem with the water pump length, requiring an after market
street rod version, & you will have to fabricate your own motor mounts.
You will have to find the correct oil pan to clear the cross member, I
forget the one to use, but it exists. Headers are not a "shelf" item
either, but the results are potentially more power at a lower cost than
developing a 215, if over 250 HP is your goal.

Using a late model 5.0 crate motor with aluminum heads & after market
aluminum intake, the weight penalty is under 60 lbs, as I recall being
told. This is not bad, & the engine can be set back further than the
215/Rover as it is narrower. This may make it suitable for chrome bumper
cars, although I have never taken any measurements.

There are several reasons more Fords have not been swapped into MG's.
This is personal opinion, of course. Buick/Rover swaps mimic what was
done by the factory, & have better acceptance within the British Car
Fraternity, a Ford swap becomes a "hot rod" in many people's eyes. I
don't really care what engine you use, including a rotary Mazda, as long
as you like it. The other big reason is that the Buick/Rover swap has
been done for many years, lots of engineering has been done for you,
lots of swap parts are readily available. A phone call will get you
headers & a complete exhaust system, ready to bolt on. Carb & intake set
ups are known factors, V-8 radiators can be ordered, motor mount
adapters & rubber mounts are on the shelf waiting for you. No welding
required.

Please do not think I am trying to discourage you. I think it is a fine
swap, in many ways a better engine to use than our Buick/Rovers, just
more work & not as traditional.

Jim Stuart