RE: SMOG was Let the mods begin

To: "'Scott Pontius'" <spontius@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: RE: SMOG was Let the mods begin
From: Paul.Kile@Aerojet.com (KILE, PAUL D)
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 07:25:43 -0700
Cc: "'mgb-v8@autox.team.net'" <mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Scott,
I can shed a little light on the Federal-spec MGB-GT V-8s.  2,591
UK-spec RHD MGB-GT V-8s were made between 1973 and 1976, but early in
1973, 7 cars were built with full Federal spec safety and smog
equipment.  The engines were equipped with an air pump and gulp valve,
and were essentially prototype powerplants.  As far as is known, three
of these cars were sent to the US for dealer comments and customer
research, but the plug was pulled on plans to market the car in the US,
and the cars were sent back to the factory after only a few months.  The
factory pulled the smog engines, substituted in UK-spec engines, and
sold the cars in Europe. I do not believe that any significant effort
was made to certify the engines in the US, since the decision was never
made to bring the cars in to this country.

Interestingly, all the Federal cars still exist, and are in the hands of
owners in Switzerland, Sweden, Italy, and Germany.  One of the European
owners, Tom Studer, has put together a book that gives the history and
current owners of each of the Federal cars.  Another owner, Bas Gerrits,
has actually located one of the prototype Federal smog engines and is
planning to install it in his car!

None of the MGB-GT V-8s in the US are Federal-spec cars, all are UK-spec
that were brought in during the "grey market" years in the 1980s.  I
have a 1974 chrome bumper version, VIN GD2D1-889G, that was brought over
here in 1984 by a guy in Colorado.  A friend of mine and I are
attempting to compile a registry of all Factory V-8s in the US and
Canada, we have found 17 cars so far. There is one LHD "Factory" V-8
that is owned by Lyle York in Massachusetts, he found a pre-production
prototype LHD bodyshell in the UK and had it completed and shipped to
the US.

My car has a California BAR sticker on the door jamb that specifies the
original equipment on the engine, and provides a special computer number
for smogging the car.  It will be interesting to see if that sticker is
honored when I complete my restoration next year!

Cheers,
Paul Kile
"Purveyor of more obscure MGB-GT V-8 trivia than one would care to know"