Re: Tire size stuff

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Tire size stuff
From: Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 16:15:47 -0800
Cc: ack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Jack Emery wrote:

> My '67 has 14x6 Western Superlites and were most likely on a Z-car
> originally judging from the offset.  I am using 185-70 tires and the front
> is close but clears.  The rear however, is another basket of snakes.

        Another possibility.  Most alloy wheels have an offset built
into the inside mounting hub.  This can be machined.  I had a set of
American racing wheels which caused clearance problems on the rear of
my 70 MGB.  There was an extra 1/2 of meat on the inside hub.  A couple
of calls found a machine shop with a big enough lathe to cut the offset
down till it was flush with the radiating spokes.  The hub in this case
was more than thick enough for safety and the cost was about $15.00 per
wheel plus a 6 pack.  Just another alternative.

Kelvin.