Re: Intake manifolds

To: kdodd@West.net
Subject: Re: Intake manifolds
From: mgbv8@juno.com (Larry A Hoy)
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 1998 10:55:26 -0700
Cc: MGB-V8@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Kelvin, thanks for the information.  I suspect the stock GM intake is
dual plane, mine appears to have the "two sets of intake tracts"?  A
single plane intake manifold would have one large intake tract that
serves all four barrels of the carburetor?

Larry Hoy, Denver, CO USA
1969 MGB Roadster (one half of a V8)
1987 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas
It's not how fast you go, it's how fast you go fast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 09:19:53 -0800 Kelvin Dodd <kdodd@West.net> writes:
>Larry A Hoy wrote:
>
>> get a question I have answered.  Can anyone tell me the difference
>> between a dual plane and a single plane intake manifold?  I have no
>clue.
>
>Larry:
>       The dual plane manifold has two sets of intake tracts sandwiched

>one on top of the other.  The smaller bore tract connects to the primary

>side of the carb.  The larger bore connects to the secondary.  When
>running under light load, only the primary of the carb. is operating.
>
>The intake tract being a small diameter keeps the intake charge flowing
>at high speed which helps distribution and keeps the fuel atomised.  In
>theory, the smaller intake tract will increase low load drivability.
>The combined bore of the prim. and sec. tracts can in theory be larger
>allowing more flow at the top end whilst retaining drivability at the
>low end.  One drawback is that the maximum bore is restricted by the
>metal between the two tracts, but on our small bore engines this is not
>a  problem.
>       So in a nutshell.  Low end drivability and economy requires a
>small carb. with small intake tracts to maintain high speed intake flow.

> High end power requires a big carb. with intake tracts matched to the
>bore size to allow the maximum flow the engine can pump.  The dual plane

>manifold was designed to combine these features.
>
>       Hope this answers your question.   Kelvin.

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]