my weekend

To: mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: my weekend
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 98 10:21:52 PST
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Yesterday I dropped the sump and pulled the con rods/pistons from
my 3.9.  The crank is absolutely beautiful!  The big-end bearings
showed some wear on the upper insert, increasing moving away
from the oil pump.  A couple of 'em were showing copper, but no
apparent damage to the crank.  Thank god for vandervell.

Inside the crankcase was as bad as elsewhere.  Lots of gunk from
blow by.  The engine had 63k on it when the Range Rover it was
in lost an argument with a rock somewhere in the SoCal desert.

The sump had a lot of sludge.  I think this engine suffered
from both compression leakge and PO neglect.  So now it's
remove the crank, get the block cleaned and bored out +0.020.

Can anyone on the list recommend a good machine shop in San Diego?
One that can be trusted with a Rover V-8?  I have nightmares of
some bozo hot-tanking it in the wrong stuff, and me being
left with nothing but cylinder sleeves.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                  http://www.teamsanctuary.com/