[Mg-t] Broken axle

To: "MG" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mg-t] Broken axle
From: "Douglas Ormrod" <Douglas.Ormrod@neurological.org.nz>
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 11:17:28 +1200
I snapped an axle yesterday - bummer.

I have taken it out and it has broken way up inside at the diff end.
Seems to have snapped just inside the outer bearing in the diff carrier.

So do I have to take the whole rear end out and split the diff or can I
take the other shaft out and push the broken bit through form the other
side? If it can be pushed through do I need one of those slide hammer
things shown in the manual or will the intact shaft come out fairly
easily?  I guess I should replace both axles at this point.

Any advice on the job gratefully accepted.

Cheers

Douglas in New Zealand