Re: Mystery Pin

To: <PopeyMike@aol.com>, <ddubois@sinclair.net>, <nels@flightsim.com>
Subject: Re: Mystery Pin
From: "Clive Sherriff" <clive.sherriff@ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:38:34 +0100
Over the years I've had occasion to drive a few very
territorial XPAGs that would worship the ground on which they
stood with large pools of engine oil from the rear seal.

What I've noticed however, is that a couple of these cars had
good compression and little cylinder bore wear and were not
burning oil as a result of engine wear - just the rear oil
seal as the source.  These cars did not use much oil on long
runs, and I conjecture that whilst the crank rotates, oil is
scrolled back into the sump, and it is therefore only the
static draining process that results in a big leak, running
loss being minimal.

I rebuild with the standard set up, and am happy with a small
drip after a long run.

However you cant just shove the rear plate (Moss 433-410l) in
without care -  they call it an oil thrower but it does not
throw anything, its in effect a close tolerance "lip" seal
plate.  I always fit the plate so the crank is initially
tight, and hand finish with a scraper and engineer's blue to
give an absolute minimum clearance.  Its a tricky process and
needs a bit of time and skill - but it works for me just fine
every time.

Clive