Re: MGA r&p conversion

To: "S. P. Carr" <scvc70@epix.net>
Subject: Re: MGA r&p conversion
From: Charlie Baldwin <ewsinc@suscom.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:37:33 -0400
Sarah,
In the sense that machining is required, there is no machine shop work.
Measuring to make sure that the gears are meshing correctly is what is
required.  The MGA ring gear bolts on where the TD one came off.  Carl's
procedure is designed to allow the competent home mechanic to do it herself.
Most of us don't have much experience messing around with rear axle
gears. If you get it wrong, it could (probably will) destroy the gears.
That is why many take it to someone who has done it before.  Sometimes,
even they screw it up.  I believe that Stu Keen had this problem and had
to have it done again.
I've never done it, so I'm not much use past this point.  Hopefully some
other list members can give good advice or perhaps someone in Southern
CA can hook you up with Carl to ask him questions directly.
Charlie
south of Sarah in PA
(who swapped out the entire MGA and now MGB rear axle in his TD)