Re: Leaf Spring Shackle Bushings

To: MG-T <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Leaf Spring Shackle Bushings
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:41:58 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 09:19 -0500, Bob Leinen wrote:

> (20 At the front end of the rear leaf springs, the bushings are
> described as "Silentblock bushings" which implies that they may be a
> substance other than rubber and perhaps more durable?  Do they typically
> deteriorate like the rubber bushings or should I go ahead and replace
> them at the same time?

A Silentblock bushing is rubber sandwiched between outer and inner steel
sleeves.  The outer sleeve presses into the spring eye.  The inner sleeve
fits on the mounting pin on the chassis and is securd by a large nut. They
do deteriorate with time, althogh very slowly if not exposed to a lot of
oil or grease.  If the car is new to you and you don't know the age of the
existing Silentblock bushings, I'd replace them.

--
Chip Old                  1948 M.G. TC
Cub Hill, Maryland, US    TC6710  XPAG7430