Leaking rear axle seals

To: "'MG T List'" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaking rear axle seals
From: "drmoyce" <drmoyce@ent-oakland.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Dec 2005 11:09:21 -0800
After my recent problems with a stripped brake hub I replaced both rear
axle seals since I found one of them leaking.  Now, in true LBC spirit,
both are leaking worse than before.

I admit that I found the photo in the shop manual confusing as to which
was the correct way to mount the seal.  The seal has a flat side, and a
side with a ridge and two grooves.  The ridge is reinforced with a metal
coil.  Which side goes against the bearing? (I chose the grooved side.)
The manual says that the seal needs to be well seated, as does the split
collar, both of which I think I did.  I noticed that pressing the seal
against the bearing left about a quarter inch of clearance between the
outer (flat) side of the seal and the brake backing plate.

What am I missing here?

Andy Moyce
52 T