Start-up Problems

To: "MG T List" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Start-up Problems
From: "Bill Snyder" <wtsnyder@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 17:50:16 -0500
Well folks, I am on vacation the first half of this week and today was
going to be the day when I tried to crank the TD for the first time.
This is a car brought home last winter totally disassembled and in
boxesand I have been slowly putting it back together ever since while
meticulously trying to make sure that every part was right.. I arose
this morning with high hopes and more than a little trepidation. I
rolled her out and the first dissappointment was finding a leak in the
radiator (supposedly repaired and pressure tested this spring). I took
it off and delivered it to the repairman, but had to leave it for later
pickup.

Not to be totally denied, I figured that I could still turn the engine
over and see if I got good oil pressure, priming the oil pump if
necessary to get oil to the top of the engine. Last night I put about a
tablespoon of Marvel Mystery Oil in each plug hole to soak overnight. I
checked static timing visually before proceeding. I put in a good hot
battery, then turned on the ignition switch. The ignition light came on
for about 1 second, then a distinct "pop" like a spark was heard under
the dash and the light went off. The bulb is not burned out and no
electircal odor was detected. No amperage registered on the ammeter. The
chassis is definitely hot (positively charged) even with the ignition
"off." No sound was heard coming from the fuel pump when the ignition
was on. Disappointed, I disconnected the positive battery lead and came
to consult the list.

I am at a loss about where to start trouble shooting. All the wiring was
done by me from a wiring diagram with a new loom. Any and all advice and
input is appreciated as I am more than a little bit "bummed out" at the
moment. Worse still, I have to leave town tomorrow AM for 3 days, so
I'll have all that time to stew on it.

Thanks in advance.
Bill Snyder
Waynesville, NC