Re: [mg-tabc] Brakes

To: "Wim Jetten" <jetten@bluewin.ch>
Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Brakes
From: "Tim Newton" <timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:05:24 +1000
Hi Wim
having just completed a major over haul of the brakes on my TC, I can say that
nothing surprises me any more with these contraptions. For such a simple
system, lot can go wrong!
I am surprised however that the rear drums on your car heat more than the
front, as you correctly point out the front take the higher breaking load. If
this be the case there is no doubt the rear shoes are either:
1. in contact with the drums for a longer period than the front shoes -
possible causes are that the wheel cylinder pistons are not retracting due to
worn rubbers or the piston/sleeve surfaces are sticking, the retracting
springs are not effectively pulling the shoes off the drums an need replacing
or the hand brake is over adjusted or sticking
2. the front brake shoes are worn or not properly adjusted and are not taking
their increased share of the load, consequently the rear brakes are working a
lot harder
3. the rear shoes are not properly fitted either at the top or at the anchor
point on the bottom of the backing plate, resulting in mis alignment and a
constant rubbing of the shoes against the sides of the drum - when you feel
the drums this would be obvious as the sides of the drum rather than the
circumference would indicate hot spots
4. un-even hydraulic pressure through the system, again reducing the
efficiency of the front brakes and causing you to look closer at the operation
of the front brakes not the rear
5. a problem with the master cylinder or fluid expansion in the system, where
the brakes are not disengaging and not obvious when driving because less than
20% application of the rear brakes would be noticeable but certainly generate
heat

any many more potentials, most of which have been tendered already through the
list
Good luck

Tim Newton Oz