Re: Manual timing advance

To: MG-T <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Manual timing advance
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 08:13:19 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 19 Jun 2002, yd3@nvc.net wrote to Bob Howard:

> My question would be if these are optional extras, why are they just in
> the MKII section.  The Andrex shocks are in the optional section as well
> as the Competition tyres.

I know the factory parts books are all we have to go on in many cases, but
it's a mistake to assume they are always correct.  Take for example the
many listings for part number such and such through car number XXXX and
part number something else from car number XXXX+1 on.  Most of us have
seen lots of cases where the those car number dividing points just aren't
all that accurate.

As for the TD Mk II manual timing advance, can you imagine the service
headaches it would have caused in the hands of the average driver with
little or no understanding of what ignition timing is all about?
Regardless of what the parts book seems to imply, it wasn't standard
equipment.  If it had been, we would see a lot more surviving examples.

> According the the parts book the MKII has a different frame.  What's the
> difference?

Mounting points for the friction shocks.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E