What's the Best?

To: "'mg-t@autox.team.net'" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: What's the Best?
From: Martin Johnson <MJohnson@cfworks.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 07:37:03 -0800
Hello everyone.  I've been lurking on this list for awhile.  I'll introduce
myself.  I've had the please of owning, restoring and maintaining and the
sadness of parting with the following cars: '52 MGTD mark II, a '45 MGTC,
TC0307 (any Lister now in possession of that car?) a few spridgets, an
Austin-Healey bugeye, and a '67 Jaguar E-Type convertible.  I now have a '59
Austin-Healey 3000 BN7, and a '66 MG Midget.  I'm buying a basket-case '47
MGTC, TC3586, and I would like to know which of the restoration books is the
most accurate and comprehensive when doing a frame-up on a T series.  I've
been trying to obtain "Original T-Series" by Clausager through Amazon.  They
say it's available, but have no idea when they can ship it!  Their price is
about half that of Moss, by the way.  However if you can't get it, it
doesn't matter if they give it away!  I imagine I'll get Sherrell's book,
but is it the most comprehensive?  Which one has the best pictures for
reference? Are there contradictions in those main sources, such as engine
colors or the firewall color?  I've noticed that there are wide variances
with restored cars.  I like to restore accurately.
The MGTC has always been my favorite car for motoring about in.  Not the
fastest or most practical, and certainly not as comfortable as my old TD,
but the MG magic for me is in the look and feel of that pre-WWII
engineering.  Thanks in advance to the list for opininions in this area, and
look for me to ask questions as they come up.
Martin