Re: Hypothetical question about driving a TC

To: 100070.740@compuserve.com (PMS GB Ltd)
Subject: Re: Hypothetical question about driving a TC
From: hineline@helix.ucsd.edu (Mark Hineline)
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2000 03:58:49 -0700 (PDT)
Many thanks for all of the considered answers to my question. I see now
that there are two questions, really: one is, how prudent is it to take a
50+ year old automobile off paved roads? And the answer seems to be: not
prudent at all. Points well taken.

But the other question is this: what was the TA-TB-TC designed to do?
What would have been the standard roadway in the UK in the mid to late
1930s? Perhaps it is merely my vivid imagination, perhaps it is too many
episodes of Masterpiece Theater (BBC programing in the U.S.), but I'm
thinking that the TA rarely saw pavement, that it was designed to be
driven on dirt and gravel. And so, although the cars might have been
specially prepared for hillclimbs and for negotiating rutted roads at top
speed, they were also designed for what we would now call "off road"
conditions.

Mark Hineline